About Our District

    Dieringer School District—An Overview

    Established in 1890, Dieringer School District consolidated with Lake Tapps School District in 1936. The District's three schools, Lake Tapps Elementary School, Dieringer Heights Elementary School and North Tapps Middle School, provide preschool through 8th grade education, and serve as hubs for community activities. The majority of Dieringer School District #343 is located in unincorporated Pierce County, bounded on the east by the White River, on the west by the Stuck River, on the north by the city of Auburn, and on the south by the cities of Bonney Lake and Sumner. The District surrounds the northern two-thirds of Lake Tapps and covers approximately 5.5 square miles.

    History Of Lake Tapps

    Lake Tapps was formed as a reservoir in 1911 to be used for hydro-electric power. Originally the area consisted of four separate lakes, Lake Kirtley, Lake Tapps, Crawford Lake, and Church Lake. Two and a half miles of earthen dams allowed the water level of Lake Tapps to raise 35 feet joining the four lakes together.

    The lake's surface area consists of 2,566 acres with a storage capacity of 46,655 acre-feet of water. With 45 miles of shoreline Lake Tapps is only 13 miles less than that of Lake Washington located in Seattle.

    A diversion dam on the White River, near Buckley, routes water into a flume which empties into the east side of Lake Tapps. On the west side of the reservoir, water had originally been routed to the Dieringer Powerhouse to generate hydroelectricity, after which the water was returned to the White River, about 20 miles (32 km) downstream from the diversion dam. Although there is no longer power generation, the water is still diverted and returned to the river through the former hydropower infrastructure.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2021 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.